Oct 11, 2010

Movie Mondays!





Guinness is at the top of his game in Graham Greene’s charming tale bought to screen by Carol Reed (director of the classic The Third Man). At turns funny and alternately suspenseful, the film features Ernie Kovacs in one of his best roles on the big screen. Set in pre-Castro Cuba, Guinness plays a vacuum cleaner selling ex-patriot drawn into a world of intrigue. Produced right in the middle of a decade, which began with Guinness a featured player in The Ladykillers and ended with him in a strong supporting role in Doctor Zhivago, we get to see Guinness play to all his strengths. Burl Ives plays a fellow cynical comrade in this wonderful commentary on bureaucracy that rings true even today, well worth catching.

I’m repurposing content by taking my NetFlix reviews and posting them here on the blog. If I could figure out a way to do it, I’d post some kind of link for people to connect and make me their friend on the service. Unfortunately, it isn’t altogether clear how one would do that - so if you know a way, pass it along. In the meantime, I’ve got steady content for at least a year.

No comments: